Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Supporting Local

Ever since we moved here, every Saturday and Sunday, I would drive by a certain intersection and see the cutest old man selling homemade dog feeders. We had been wanting one for Delilah and I just never had the opportunity to stop. This past Sunday, after church and on our way home from a delicious breakfast at Doug's, we decided to stop. My sister and I took bets on how much the handmade feeders cost.......Big Daddy went to talk to him, came back to the truck and told us $75!! WHAT!?! Noooooo it was only $30 and so we decided to buy one. It reminds me of the woodwork my grandfather used to do. The funny thing is, we had to write him a check and Big Daddy asked the man to just write his name on the check. The man held up his hand and 2 of his fingers were missing!! He laughed and told Big Daddy "Sanding is a hard job!" ....come to find out he worked at Stetson Hats for yrs and lost his fingers in a work accident.

Happy Wednesday!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

4 comments:

Shawn said...

I remember seeing him and you saying you were going to stop.

I find it very sad that this old man is selling handmade goods on the side of the road after loosing 2 digits while at work, he shouldn't have to work at all! I'll stay hopeful that he just enjoys it!

Anonymous said...

Local is the way to go! Happy Thanksgiving!

House of Ophelia, Kamtun said...

Thank you for your sharing. It is wonderful to support this man, who even after losing 2 of his fingers at a work accident and instead of lamenting at his bad luck or doing nothing at home, he knew how to support himself and keep his mind and hands busy and if I was staying where you are, I would rush there to buy the dog feeder just to give him local support too. Thank you for this beautiful post. I am from Malaysia. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hello, you site is very funny he told me to cheer up .. Merry Christmas.