Saturday, January 15, 2011

SnOMG 2011

On Sunday, Jan 9 - we got a warning that SEVERE weather was coming our way. Now, I was hoping and praying that it wasn't really coming, but well, this time the weatherman was CORRECT! It started snowing around 6:30 and didn't stop until early that morning. At one point I heard thunder and our local weatherman tweeted "Yes, you may hear thunder! It's called Thundersnow" - which I thought was pretty neat!



We woke up to this - now - my friends that read this blog that live up North. I am SURE you are rolling your eyes. Really. However, the wonderful state of GA was equipped with 8 snowplows/salt trucks.

EIGHT trucks

Population: 5 million

Yeah, do the math. Needless to say, our state was deemed a state of emergency and we were told to STAY HOME. I work in the auto industry and needless to say, we were closed as well. For 3 solid days.



Watching the news got depressing. They showed clip after clip of highways shut down, people stuck in their cars on 285, people stuck at the airport, etc. It was a disaster. We made the best of it and watched movies, cleaned the house (ha ha ha .. yeah right), got organized (again, ha ha) and pretty much ate every ounce of food we had in the house. I finally got out on Tuesday for a quick trip to the store, only to find out they were out of EVERYTHING and closing at 4:00 (it was 2:30). Didn't matter b/c I was only going to pick up my girlfriend Little Debbie and her friends Chips and Salsa. I was the ONLY woman in the entire store. My husband was in PA, but since the storm was moving that way, he was able to get out and get home by Wed morning.

So the kids have been out of school for a week and they are out on Monday MLK holiday. AWESOME! I finally made it back to work today on a reduced schedule but we are business as usual tomorrow. I couldn't be happier. This working mom LOVES being a working mom. Yes, the roads were ridiculous, and everything the weatherman said they would be. Took me over 1 1/2 hrs to go 35 miles ... but I made it safe and sound!

It is all supposed to melt tomorrow and start getting back to normal! Thank goodness and yes, I know if it ever calls for the same weather again, we'll still be just as unprepared!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GURRRL! I so understand the stir crazy that being snowed in will bring to the MAMA. LAWDY. This is a lot of snow for GA, but I bet the kids had so much fun playing in it! We have had a crazy warm up, went from 8 degrees paired with several feet of snow to 46 degrees and a massive melt off. Crazy.

I am so glad that I get to see you in a few days! After this storm, you will be long due for a girls weekend!

XOXO-
Shasta

Kenj said...

Be safe down there.!! We got about 2 feet of snow up here, but were back to business the next day. I would like to have a week off of work one time.! Hha, but be safe.!

Home Is Where the Hart Is said...

Love all the snow! Glad your kids got to get out and have some fun...snow style! haha.
We were in ATL last Sunday afternoon and barely got out before the snOMG started.

Shawn said...

What a "fun" week. I love the picture os Princess K!

Now go stock your pantry with staples that won't go bad for the next round...that's an order!