Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Maybe ~ just maybe she is learning ...

Before


During


AFTER! She looks so GROWN!


Kennedy and Ms. Monique

So most of you know my sister and her family were here last week. Jenn's daughter, MacKenzie, cut her hair and donated to Locks of Love. This is something Kennedy and I had always considered, however, she never wanted to cut it. We talked about it, she's met several children with cancer, but I never pushed it because I wanted it to be something SHE wanted to do.



Last Thursday, she came to me and said 'Mommy, I want to cut my hair and give it to the little girls with cancer' ... I was typing away, as usual, and said "OK honey ... go get dressed'. I wasn't even paying attention really. She got VERY upset over Christmas and wanted us to adopt a child from Africa because they didn't have clean water over there. She said they could live in the guest bedroom. So this makes me realize she is definitely listening at church (we did a big 'give' to build wells in Africa at Christmas time). Anyway, within 10 minutes, she's dressed, has my purse, and is telling me to COME ON! Then I realize - OH SHE IS SERIOUS! SO off we go to Great Clips. I walked in and told the lady what we were wanting to do and she was so excited to do it. As you can see from the pictures, it was QUITE a bit of hair - over 11 inches!! Yes, I cried through the whole darn thing! I was so proud of her b/c she GETS it! Most of ya'll know her hair and I battled every morning. This has made BOTH our lives so much easier and helped out a great cause in the meantime!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for her!

Anissa Mayhew said...

Natalie,

You know how much this touches me. As the mother of one of those little girls with cancer, the ones who lose their beautiful hair and have to learn to live with the stares and the pitiful looks and the pointing and giggling of others...I am SO PROUD of Kennedy for her sacrifice. She is going to make someone's life a little bit better and give them some comfort and confidence!

You are so doing something right with that one, my friend. But with two big-hearted role models, what else can you expect.

Love
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Kim said...

I'm so proud of her!!

Faithful Froggers said...

Way to go, Kennedy! It is hard enough for a grown woman to do this - but for a little girl to decide to cut her own hair to help others shows just how big her heart is! What a special kid you have, Natalie! And she looks absolutely radiant with her new hairstyle! BEAUTIFUL!!

Love & FROG . . .

Mommy said...

You do not know me but I am a friend of Kim W. I just wanted to say how very proud I am of your daughter. I do not know her but I am proud of her. Compassion for others is difficult to teach but when they "get it", I believe, it stays with them. Kennedy, your new haircut looks beautiful. Somewhere in the world a little girl is going to smile a very big smile because of the sacrifice YOU made just for her.