Friday, August 8, 2008

While I paint, she tiles ....

I would like to introduce ya'll to my friend, Shannon. We used to get asked ALL the time if we were sisters, which I think is funny because she is so ding dang tall (seriously, like 6" tall) and when I colored my hair back to it's natural color (yes, I had to color it BACK to get all the blondish highlights OUT) I was certain no one would ask us that anymore and actually, people asked us MORE if we were related. Anyway, I digress ....








Shannon is a renaissance woman. She can do anything. She had mentioned a while back that she would tile my backsplash for me because they are building a new house and she wouldn't have anything 'to do'. She is also having shoulder surgery August 21 - this is a GOOD FRIEND! I asked her last week if she was still up for the challenge ... she said "YES!" (ha, get it!?!?) and off we went tile shopping last weekend. She called me last night to tell me she would be over on Friday to start. That is one thing about Shannon - when she says she is going to do something (a) she does it (b) she does it and FINISHES it. SO, here we go:

This is the tile started -- I forgot to take before pictures and normally, I wouldn't even post until it was done, but I have some girls that want to see the progress (no, Cameron did not color on the tile with a sharpie. That is where I scored it with a grinder and when I tell you SPARKS FLEW, I'm telling you I was afraid I was going to catch my new cabinets on FIRE!).
She cussed me after this one ~ I told her "I must document the process" and no, that is not armpit sweat, that is water that kicked back on her from the wet saw THAT WE NOW OWN.

Not to shabby, huh??!?! COURSE, it will be SHABBY CHIC and totally ties in the cabinets with the granite. It looks beautiful ~ it really does. She still has a little ways to go, but I am LOVING it so far. It's going to look so pretty once it's grouted (yes, I said grouted) and sealed. It will be a little darker and blend really well. I'm SO proud of her for tackling this project and I will shower her with gifts, as I do all my friends that bless me with their talents and do stuff for me that would normally cost me a FORTUNE!!


After Shannon made one particular cut that was PERFECT, she came back in and said "I. AM. A. BADA$$" .... yes, honey, YOU ARE!

5 comments:

Kim said...

First off - you do look related!! Crazy!

Second - that back-splash looks fantastic!!

Shawn said...

Shannon is the bomb. SERIOUSLY this mamma rocks! I'm glad I have her "bad ass" in my corner. One never knows when there may be a need for a 6' tall, rock hard, beauty to have your back!

I cannot wait to come help with the finishing touches on this beautiful kitchen!

Chris Kauffman said...

That is awesome what a friend. I love the tile, and it is nice for you to show how you can go right over old stable tile I wish more people would do that .
I just came back from a two day remodel of my sis in laws mudroom laundry , you should come and see it at my blog, you can weigh in on some color choices after all I gave you my opinion , I could use your imput now, your kitchen is really a especially beautiful I am in awe.
Chris

My Beautiful Mess! said...

Love it!! It looks amazing. Don't you love having talented friends! You guys could pass for sisters that is for sure!

Rachel Spence said...

Yep you guys do look alike. Too funny!! I love the back splash too.