Thursday, May 28, 2009

I just saved $575 ....

I wanted this:


really, really bad! However, I was NOT going to spend $299 -- EACH cabinet. See, I hate medicine cabinets - BUT - we do use ours. They just absolutely DO NOT go with my decor. SO I decided I was going to just buy new ones. Well, I didn't realize they were so DANG expensive! SERIOUSLY!!

SO when when I put in google search "framed recessed medicine cabinet" - the above beauty came up. It's a freaking PICTURE FRAME!! I don't need the mirror - so I thought that was so COOL! THEN -- I saw the price. NO WAY.... not doing it.

Then I started studying it .... blowing up the picture and REALLY studying it. Big Daddy was sitting in the room when I said .....

Wait for it ....

"I can SOOO do that".

I mean -- I JUST did all the molding and trim in our dining room .. this would be EASY!

Then our sweet friend came by - to TAKE MY CHILDREN (she is a GOD SEND .. I tell ya) and she took one look at it and said "You can sooo do that" ... hmph -- that's why we're friends, I know.

So here is the before ... blah ... with remnants of paint color around the edge b/c I refuse to tape off (I can hear my sister's sigh all the way from GA)



I went to JoAnn's and bought 2 12x16 frames - 1/2 off - so they were $12.49 each.

I removed the doors and then attached hinges to the back of the frame just like you would a door. THEN Big Daddy decided to come in and help b/c after being there 10 yrs, the screws were a little hesitant to come out and I needed some muscles.


Here's proof of Big Daddy's involvement -- bald head and all ....


ANDDDDDD - HERE'S the finished product:

{SWOON ~ I'm in love}
I haven't decided what I'm going to put in there yet. DEFINITELY some of my favorite verses to keep me motivated since is pretty much the first thing I see each morning. Definitely some family pictures and what not. The beauty of it is -- I can change it whenever I want!!

Speaking of change .... these walls are about to get a few coats of Svelte Sage {GREEN} paint ..... yummy.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! That turned out great..it's so creative :)

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com said...

you know i'm stealing this idea, right?

Unknown said...

Oh, that's beautiful...nice team work!

Shawn said...

STFU!

Red Rover Red Rover Can Natalie come over and do this ay my house!

LyndsAU said...

oh my gosh i am so glad you put this up! i have to redo one of my med cabinets and this is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I have to say....Shawn Carroll was impressed!!

Kim said...

Girl! I can't believe it! You are just to dang handy! The verse thing is a fab idea! I so would do it!

I can't believe how great they look! What a great idea!!!!

You rock!

btw, I think we are going to come to florida this weekend - you home?

ok - just kidding! I had to be mean!

Danielle said...

I am so going to steal that idea for the girl's bathroom. i agree with you about the mirror thing. It is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing. You are so handy!

Shawn said...

I'm doing this in the girls bathroom today. I've just searched through your blog trying to find this post {I needed to know the size of the frame}. You need labels to make things easier on me, I almost logged into your account so I could find it faster.

Their bathroom is almost finished and it is FREAKING ADORABLE!!!!