Saturday, May 23, 2009

Show Us Where You Live


Kelly's Korner is hosting a "Show Us Where You Live" Tour and this Friday is DINING ROOMS!  Our dining room is the FIRST room you see when you walk in the house.  It only has 2 walls (really really  good when you are painting RED!) ~ and has the columns.  I really love it!  One of my best girlfriends painted the walls for me about a yr after we moved in - yes, I have some great girlfriends. I tried to help her, but she is a control freak and needed to do it herself - so I handed her the glazes when she needed them and basically was her assistant - BUT it turned out beautiful.  It was ... wait for it ... WHITE!  I have NO before pictures.  BUT .. BUT here is what my dining room looked like earlier in the week:


This is where Big Daddy came home and said "WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?" and I told him to leave me alone ... 

See the wall partially sanded off?  Yep ... I was sanding off the WONDERFUL texture we have on our walls here in Florida.  See that vase??  It is a Waterford crystal vase that is VERY heavy. Big Daddy got that from his record label when he had one of his #1 hits ... it has survived many many moves and it's very cherished (even with the faux roses in there - yikes).
  

And this is what my dining room looks like TODAY:

I'm in love ....


with molding and trim ..... I did ALL of this myself!! 

It was not labor intensive and did not take me that long!  I had the chair railing in the garage from previous projects and I had all the paint left over.  Rhoda at Southern Hospitality did a tutorial on this and so I just followed her instructions. 
I did not make my boxes very big.  Considering it was the first time I've ever done anything on this level and how easy it was,  I want to do the entryway as well.  I may need to go buy 1 piece of chair railing and that's it ~ I think this has really added some beautiful addition to the room!!  We had insane amounts of trim in our house in TN ~ however it was a custom home.  When we moved here, we just did NOT want to be house poor, so we decided to buy a less expensive house, and slowly add what we wanted and make it OURS!!   Granted, at the time, the housing market was exploding and houses were selling for over $200/sq ft -- with NOTHING like this in them.   I couldn't believe there was little trim in houses here -- now I know why -- every single wall/ceiling, etc is CROOKED!!  BUT I DIGRESS ...

I love the new molding and plan to put it elsewhere.  I do need a new centerpiece for the dining room table - that one is a bit boring, but I'll just look until I find something I like!!

Enjoy the weekend!  Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all our men and women serving or have served our country!!  



8 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Your blog header is a hoot! Love the descriptions of your family...so great.

Your dining room is really pretty!

Shawn said...

I'm in AWE!!!!

I'll say it again YOU DO NOT NEED JODI!

Frugal Jen said...

I want to add molding like that. What a great color and room!

Amanda said...

Love the molding! It really makes the room snap! :-)

Shana said...

great job on the woodworking!! thanks for sharing your space!!

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I shipped your package yesterday. I am a little worried because our post office was closed. I used the ship it yourself machine. I am crossing my fingers. I LOVE your house it is so Beautiful!!!

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I got my gift. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! I am EXCITED to post about it. Thanks You SO much. I hope you get your SOON!!!

Kim said...

WOW! I am impressed!

Hey what happened to the other curtains in there??