Saturday, September 5, 2009

Just call me Marjorie ....

Marjorie is my grandmother's name. She could sew anything. I'm talking ANYTHING. That gift, along with cooking, as been passed on to my mother and quite possibly my twin sister (minus the cooking part). I'll never forget the first time my husband got to 'experience' a true Southern "Steen" meal -- he literally looked at me and said "WHAT HAPPENED??" ...

I do not cook - HOWEVER - I am learning and TRYING {that's what counts, right?}

So fast forward to today -- remember forever ago when I decided to redo my master bedroom after we got back from our fabulous trip to Dominican Republic? One of my dear friends was recruited as 'design consultant' and we decided to go 'cream, green and serene' - meaning neutral walls, with accents in the fabric, wall decor, etc.

I searched high and low for bedding. I couldn't find ANYTHING. I called my Mom and asked her how hard it would be to make a duvet and she said it wouldn't be hard at all - gave me some tips and I decided I would make it. I chose this fabric, but not before I sent it to my 'consultant' to approve. She loved it and that's when we decided to also paint the master bathroom to lighten it up. It was on sale, so I ordered enough yardage to make the duvet plus 2 king shams.


I * FINALLY * decided today would be the day I was going to make it. I started around 2:00 and finished about 2.5 hrs later. I took my time because I get easily frustrated. NOW, let me tell you, it is NOT perfect - but - I reminded myself that it did not have to be perfect to be beautiful. My seams do not match up perfectly, but it's ok. They *somewhat* match and that's good enough for me. Honestly, if you are that close to my duvet IN MY BEDROOM, then I don't want you in my bedroom anyway ~ right?

So I'm finished for today! I will make the shams another day. I need to get some backing material for those and honestly, I'm so happy to be done with this, I don't know that I have the energy to start the shams - BUT - I will have them done before the weekend is over!

Happy Labor Day, my sweets! Be safe!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can help you make the shams...easy peasy! So proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

you did AWESOME!!!! It looks great = )

DD said...

Coming from a decorator extraordinaire(bwaa haa haa), you did a great job. Isn't it rewarding to finish a project like that?

Pretty in Pink said...

wow- i am impressed! i might have to commission you to make a duvet for me :)

Unknown said...

girl it looks great!

Mom said...

Hey - where did my comment go?

Now I can't remember what I wrote!
Remember: Measure twice; cut once. Sew, clip and PRESS.

Marjorie would be proud.

Mom

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

That looks fantastic! I am so impressed (I'm skeerd of sewing machines...) and can't wait to see the pix of the finished room.
:)

Shawn said...

I'm beaming with pride! It's beautiful!

Lauren said...

Look at you go girl!!!! It turned out great!!! :)

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com said...

I'm so proud of you (and jealous that you're actually using your sewing maching! Mine is on the top shelf in the...ahem...garage.)

It looks amazing - can't wait to see it with the shams:)

btw - V and I were in the neighborhood last week (i think it was last week) and stopped by to see if you and C wanted to do dinner the next night - but you weren't home :(

Let's do something soon!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Very pretty! You did a great job! I love the pattern!

Stacey said...

The picture does NOT do that fabric justice!!! much prettier in person! signed your design consultant! :) great job Nat