Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Here she is .....


For those of you that have been patiently waiting for me to post about my 'deal of the century' ~ here it is!!  


I am redoing my guest bedroom.  The furniture in there is 10 yrs old, however it has never really been used.  It is ENORMOUS and just takes up too much space in this small bedroom.  After lurking several blogs and watching one too many 'Weekend Decorating' shows on DIY, I decided I wanted to downsize.  Not the bed itself, just the headboard.  I sold the bed and dresser for enough $$ to cover the new headboard I wanted from "WOOD YOU" ~ a local unfinished furniture place.  It left me with enough to buy some fabric for a side table and some odds and ends.  I want a 'shabby beach retreat' look to the room.  I had not bought the headboard yet b/c I wanted to wait until the furniture was picked up.  That isn't happening for another few weeks, so I thought I would make a last ditch effort to the Salvation Army Thrift store and see what they had, since I had ZERO luck at Goodwill or Craigslist (those jokers think their furniture is made of gold - sorry, it AIN'T!).

I pulled up and saw it in the window - a beautiful VERY beach cottage looking headboard.  I seriously thought to myself "This is too good to be true" ~ it was.... it was a full.  I need a queen.  SO I ask the nice gentleman if he has any other wood headboards.  I didn't care if it was scratched as I was going to be painting it.  He leads me to the back and shows me a ton that I would never even CONSIDER (we're talking 1970's people).   SO, we're sifting through a bunch that they have just stacked on top of one another.  I see a wood and wrought iron one that would work, but it's still SO plain.  He flips that one to the next one (hitting me in the head while he did it,too but anyway) and there she was.  It was like the heavens parted and a choir of angels were singing.  He said 'Oh, here's a queen - but it's really going to need some elbow grease' and I told him that it was ok.  I look at the price - $69.95.  I was ELATED - the one I was going to get at WOOD YOU was $179.99 ~ SO, as I am ABOUT TO TELL HIM TO HOLD IT FOR ME, he says 'It's been here awhile, will you take it for $29.99?" --- ya'll seriously, that's what I get b/c I was GOING to pay $69.95 ~ I tell him "SURE, I could probably make it work for that" and again I'm FREAKING OUT INSIDE.  Before I entered this blog world, I would NEVER in a gagillion years thought to PAINT FURNITURE!!! 

SO -- here is my $29.99 QUEEN headboard.  Can't you see the wood applique in the center?  It will be painted a creamy white and then I'll run a tobacco glaze over it ~ the same treatment I am doing to an old armoire we have in the garage.  This project won't be started for a couple weeks - don't want to start painting until hubby is done with the floors.   Chad picked it up for me today and said "Babe, this thing is OLD!" and I said "I KNOW!!!".  I can't WAIT!!! Because this was only $29.99, I now have enough to buy a new ceiling fan in there too!!

4 comments:

My Beautiful Mess! said...

I LOVE IT! Can't wait to see it all put together in the room. I have painted several Salvation Army pieces and LOVE them. I don't know if you watch the HGTV Design Star show but last night they did the Sara Evans suite in the shabby vintage style and the finishes they used were awesome!! Again can't wait to see your room!!!

Natalie Willis said...

LOve Salvation Army/ Good will!!! Way to go!
Love,
Natalie
www.beleiverinmandy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

way to go! I think she will look great!

Kim said...

I can't wait to see what you do with that thing!!