Monday, July 7, 2008

My 'first' deal of the century .....

I heart this dress ......


For the past 2 yrs, I have been involved in some capacity with the Evening of Hope ~ a big fundraiser that benefits the Foundation Angel Program (in which I am also involved with here in Tampa).  Last year, I was co-chair and we decided we wanted it to be BLACK TIE.  It was so nice to see everyone in our community get all dressed up ~ there aren't enough events for me to wear every dress I own, so of course, I was pushin' for the whole 'black tie' thing.  Last year I paid just under $200 for my dress - and didn't think twice about it until I shredded the ENTIRE hem of the dress because of the crystals on my shoes.  


Since January, we have been on a BUDGET BUSTING spree to get out of debt ~ long story short ~ bad company investment (shady partner doesn't help) + 2 lawsuits (greedy lawyers don't help here either) = LOTS 'O DEBT.  We are fortunate that my income was used to help get that debt down to now it's completely manageable and I see a light at the end of the tunnel (hoping it's not a train) but I digress.  Oh, and prayer - that helps too.  ANYWAY, on to my original reason for this post : I was at Dillard's stopping in to check out their mega clearance sale b/c frankly, I needed new sheets.  Check - found 400tc sheets that were $30 - pretty decent but I've gotten deals like that before.  There was a clearance rack of evening gowns and I thought to myself "Hmmmm, wonder if they have anything in my size that I can wear for the EOH" and so I flipped through the rack - NOTHING.  I headed over to the junior department b/c sometimes you can find some decent dresses over there.

First of all - let me say this - what some of these girls have available to them, is RIDICULOUS!  I found several that were decent and were only $20-$35.  I figured that I could wear one of them to some of the other events we go to every year.  In the fitting room, I had the harsh realization that I am NOT a 3/4 anymore, plus all the dresses had been trashed.  I convinced myself I could fix the silver I wanted and be done with it.  Who really remembers what you wear anyway ~ I also had tried on a royal blue Jessica McClintock gown that was STUNNING, however it was just too big and I didn't want to get it and then spend $100 in alterations.  

As I was leaving the fitting room, I saw one last rack that had 50% dresses and then an additional 40% off the clearance price.  THIS was more up my alley - they were more 'grown up' - meaning their clearance price was $100, rather than $35.  SO I found a beautiful liquid gold Jessica McClintock dress (as seen above) and even though the size was literally 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear, it really looked like it would fit.  I tried it on - perfection.  It wasn't too big at all and was not so tight that I would embarrass my co-chair.   I was imagining my shoes (that I already have) and thought I would just need to get some ROCKIN' big chandelier earrings.  I looked at the tag = $101.50 ~ ok, so it would be just about $60 - this was a $260 dress originally.  I was literally skipping to the register - so happy.  I even had a $10 off Dillard's rewards check ... so $50 ... YAY ME.  

I got to the register.

It rang up and she gave me my total.

Cashier:  That will be $32.10 ~ are you going to be using your Dillard's?

me: I'm sorry - WHAT?!

Cashier:  Yes, your total is $32.10 - the dress was marked down to $50 and there is an add'l  40% off.

me:    Oh yeah, thanks (inside:  HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!  IS SHE SERIOUS!?!?!)

So there I went - with my $22.10 (don't forget my coupon!!) and don't think I won't make this look like the $260 dress that it is!! HA!!  

Come back tomorrow for my great find at the Salvation Army Thrift Store......

9 comments:

Pam said...

You go girl . . . okay, you know I'm on the same budget!! Where was my invitation to join you? BTW, beeauuutiiful!

Rachel Spence said...

Cool! LOVE that dress! You rock finding such good deals~I swear they never come my way. Guess I don't look hard enough. hee hee

Love the new blog design to sista!

Shawn said...

You are too much! Maybe after YOU BUY ME LUNCH tomorrow after Bible study we can go search for that blue dress for my not so size 3/4 arss.

You know you're making me itch with the whole Salvation Army thing right?!?

Anonymous said...

Now that's a screaming deal, can you go shopping with me?!?

I just wanted to say thanks for entering the contest over at Tip Junkie today, best of luck to you!

Hope to see you again!!

Anissa Mayhew said...

First of all, you look fabulous.

Second, can you stop posting that you are anywhere near a 3/4 or the junior's department? You made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Third, where's my invite to the EOH? ;)

Fourth, you look fabulous.

I'd hate you if I didn't like you so much.

--Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Unknown said...

I totally thought you were gonna have th=at salvation army find here today! Just kidding! Great deal on the dress!

Kim said...

impressive!!

My Beautiful Mess! said...

LOVE IT! You look amazing. Don't you just love knowing you look like a million dollars but it cost you under thirty bucks! You rock!

Natalie Willis said...

Ok, LOVE the dress!! You look mahvelous, dahling!!!!! Second, "I am so not a size 3/4 anymore?" Boohoohoo for you! The last time I was a size 3/4 it was 3T and 4T and I was 2 years old. If I didn't think you were as cool as a fluffernutter I would have to smack ya upside the head!!

Love ya sweetie!
Natalie
www.believeinmandy.blogspot.com